The Country Villa Located in the City
Originally located on the Island of Mataruahou off the Napier coast, the island was purchased from the Maori chiefs in 1856 for 50₤. The principal estate encompassed the crown of the island and became a private “plantation” complete with country villa, servant quarters, guest house, gazebos and a summer cottage. When the earthquake of 1931 hit Napier, the island was raised 6 metres out of the ocean, connecting the island to the mainland.
Gerhard Husheer, local tobacco baron and a national civic leader, greatly expanded the Villa and renovated it in the Art Deco Style, featuring sweeping verandahs in the style of Frank Lloyd Wright, and stained glass windows in the style of Charles Rennie Mackintosh and Louis Comfort Tiffany. Mr. Husheer became the legendary figure in Hawkes Bay that he remained for the rest of his life. Immensely wealthy by the standards of any provincial city, he was a figure known by all for his chauffeur-driven Pierce Arrow limousines, his Alsatian dogs, and the Villa on Bluff Hill.
Today, the country villa, now known as “The Masters Lodge”, sits on the same land, now known as “Bluff Hill,” providing all of its original country gentility & historic charm while located a mere 10 minute walk or 2 minute drive from Napier’s City Centre with all of its restaurants, shops and entertainment venues.
The Only Luxury Retreat in Hawke's Bay offering...
• "Million-Dollar-Views” of the South Pacific Ocean
• True Privacy -- maximum of four guests
• Free Wi-Fi
• Gourmet Breakfast & Afternoon Tea Included
• Pre-Dinner Cocktails & Hors d'oeuvres Included
• Fully Licensed Wine & Beverage Service
• Walking distance to Art Deco City Centre
• Historic Architecture & Award-Winning Art Deco Interiors
• Antiques, Fine Art, Paintings and Sculpture Throughout
• Off-Street Parking
• Monitored Security System
• Smoke-Free Property